Jigawa Discharges 222 COVID-19 Patients

Why I trekked for Jonathan — Nihi

Oladele Nihi

Please, give a brief profile of yourself.
My name is Oladele Nihi, from Aiyegunle Gbede, Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State. I live and work in Abuja. I studied political science at the Kogi State University and I am about to round off a master’s degree course in Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution at the National Open University of Nigeria. I am married with a son.
Why did you decide to trek for former President Goodluck Jonathan?
My wife was the one who initiated the idea. According to her, if there is anyone to trek for, it should be Jonathan who did not allow his ambition to plunge Nigerians into any political crisis. Moreso, the peace we enjoy today emerged from the acceptance of defeat by Jonathan who by that action, proved doomsayers wrong who predicted many negative things about the country after the elections.

Where and when did you start the trek and to where?
I started the trek from the Federal Housing junction, Lugbe in Abuja on May 4 and ended it on May 23 in Otuoke, Bayelsa State hometown of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan.
How many days did it take you to get to Otuoke?
It took 19 days.
What were your experiences during the tiring activity?
The experiences are positive and negative. Some of the positive sides were the reception, acceptance, encouragement, love and prayers of Nigerians home and abroad that I got on the way, which served as morale booster. Worthy of note again is the way I was accommodated and fed by people I never knew and some with whom I do not share the same fate with.
The negative sides were the health challenges I faced such as headache, cold, chest pain and general body pain.
Did you ever consider stopping at anytime?
Yes, I did consider quitting at some points, but when I looked at how far we had travelled and people’s encouragement and prayers, I said to myself that I cannot afford to disappoint the people or myself. The strength to carry on was even more intense when I considered that many people, irrespective of their political affiliations, followed me on Twitter to get updates as I trekked to Otuoke.
You were joined by two female partners on the way. Where did each of the two join you and what convinced them to?
Yes, two ladies joined me on the way. The first lady, Gloria Nweke, joined at Abaji on the second day. She began the trek with me on the third day while the second lady, Ifey Chukuneku, joined me at Agbor in Delta State and began trekking with me on the 11th day.
They both said they were encouraged by my boldness and that since they wanted to do same for Jonathan but could not start it because of their gender, joining me was the best option.
What were the things you kept as proofs of the journey?
There are many proofs. I posted them at every stage. I took pictures at very strategic places with a reflection in the background to identify where the pictures were taken. Besides, those who accommodated me whenever it was late are witnesses. I have record of everywhere I slept from day one to the last day. There were security men who I met along the road at various checkpoints.
Would you have trekked for Jonathan if someone had not done same earlier for Buhari?
Sincerely, I do not think so. One, I did not envisage that he would lose. Hence, I could not have promised to trek for him if he had won.

Comments